Pomona Park is a nice
place to live, with friendly people, lakes and parks, in a sunny
rural Florida Paradise. The Town of Pomona
Park has many recreational facilities and parks. We are
proud to be a
Tree City USA
town and a
The Town received the 2014 Regional Quality of Life Award from
Northeast Florida Regional Council.
Mission Statement for
The Town of Pomona Park
Approved by Unanimous Council
Whereas; the citizens of Pomona
Park decided to incorporate The Town of Pomona Park in 1894,
Therefore; the following Mission
Statement is proposed.
The Town of Pomona Park exists
to keep local tax money used for local purposes.
The Town of Pomona Park exists
to keep local decisions made locally.
The Town Council of the Town
shall be interested and receptive to input from the residents
regarding local decisions and shall remain diligent in deciding
how best to satisfy local preferences in a budget efficient
The Town focus shall be to
maintain the public parks in a manner that encourages use and
The Town Beautification Committee
shall use its resources to encourage all businesses and
residents to keep their properties neat, clean and attractive.
We are located on US
Highway 17, south of Satsuma, north of
and east of
East Palatka and
San Mateo are north of us. Lake Como and Georgetown
are South of us. Click
here for an area map.
Code of Ordinances and our
Comprehensive Plan are now available online.
Here is a link to the
1994 Standard Housing Code.
Here is a link to our most recent
encourage residents to participate in all Town Functions.
Please check our calendar, town events and parks pages frequently for updates.
Our County has an award
winning Chamber of Commerce. Their website is
Our local newspapers are
the Putnam County Courier Journal and the Palatka Daily News.
A brief history of
Pomona Park: By Marjorie F. Jacob*, Town Clerk - September 19, 2001
incorporated more than 25 years after a group of settlers moved here
after the Civil war. Many of those settlers were Union soldiers who
had served in the area during the war.
In the late 19th
century, Pomona (Park), a small settlement of about 75 families, was
noted for its citrus, grape vineyards, farm produce and long leaf
yellow pine. The combination of the fertile soil and year-round
warm temperatures produced abundant fruit-bearing groves. In 1887,
there were 85 orange groves with more than 14,000 bearing trees and
27,250 nursery stock. There were 2,000 peach trees and 651 acres in
cultivation. After the freeze of 1895 many grove owners moved away,
leaving their homes, barns and farming equipment behind.
Incorporated in 1889 -
Recorded in the Incorporation Book, pages 7, 8, and 9, in the Putnam
County Courthouse, Palatka, Florida as town of POMONA. (Filed for
record on May 24, 1894, recorded on May 26, 1894.)
“Pomona” was named
after the Roman Goddess of fruit trees, usually depicted as holding
fruit and a pruning knife. In the first half of the 20th Century
there were many citrus groves here. Today, Produce Farm & Groves is
located inside the Town limits. They are the largest
commercial citrus grove this far north in Florida. They provide fresh
fruit to public school students in 3 counties. They also grow
and market vegetables, persimmons and peaches. The town’s original seal depicted a mature fruit-bearing tree, with
the date of 1894 under it and surrounded by a double circle with the
words within the circle: “Town of Pomona” at the top and “Deo Duce”
at the bottom. (Deo Duce is Latin for “God our Leader”.)
The old packing house on the north end
of town was opened in 1913 by W.S. Middleton, for packing citrus for
shipping. In 1945, Clyde D. Middleton was one of the pioneers
in the development of frozen orange juice concentrate.
In 1945, the Town’s
name was officially changed to POMONA PARK (the “Park” was
added because mail addressed to “Pomona”, Florida and the mail
addressed to “Pompano”, Florida were often incorrectly delivered;
however, this name change did not solve the problem, because about
that same time Pompano changed its name to Pompano Beach, and
postal workers seeing the added names for each town, still
resulted in improperly sorted mail. It helped some when zip codes
were added to the mailing address, but the mail once in a while
still gets missent between these two towns). The Governor approved
this name change on May 17, 1945, filed in the Office of the
Secretary of State on May 17, 1945. Chapter 23496 - No. 981 - Laws
of Florida. (House Bill No. 423.)
In 1963, the Town’s
name was officially changed to TOWN OF POMONA PARK and became
a law without the Governor’s approval. Filed in the Office of the
Secretary of State on July 10, 1963. Chapter 63-1825 Laws of
Florida. (House Bill No. 2435.)
The most recent Charter
revision was adopted at the local poll during the April 24, 2001
Town Election (there was not a name change this time). Since our
1963 Charter was adopted, many laws and changes have occurred. Our
new Charter better enables us to go forward into this century.
An old (1890’s)
two-story schoolhouse was deeded to Pomona near the end of the 19th
Century. The building was donated to The Town of Pomona Park from
the trustees of the Pomona School House of Pomona (Warranty Deed
filed and recorded December 30, 1899 in Deed Book 37, page 137).
About 1939 the building was renovated by the WPA, making it a
one-story structure. Since 1939, the building was no longer used as
a school and became the “Town Hall” which was used for many years
for family gatherings, local organizational meetings and for the
Town Council Meetings. The Schoolhouse/Town Hall/Community Center
building is still being used for family gatherings, local
organizations, etc. But, since 1984 the Town Council Meetings have
been held in the renovated “old” Pomona Park Volunteer Fire Station
#10 (the VFD was replaced/relocated in new quarters nearby). On
December 9, 1986 the name changes were officially made to change the
old “Town Hall” to the “Community Center” and the old “Volunteer
Fire Station” became the “Town Hall.”
The Town of Pomona Park has a Mayor/Council form
Pomona Park has the distinction of being the first Florida town to
have a woman elected as Mayor. Eula E. Dunn was duly elected
and sworn into the office of mayor in 1928, serving until 1933.
Within the Town of
Pomona Park’s 3+ square miles lies a portion of Lake Broward, a
large and beautiful lake. According to information made
available to the Town in 2014, Lake Broward has fissures that supply
water from the aquifer. Sometimes the lake water is much
cooler than other nearby lakes due to the depth of the lake.
Lake Broward is classified by Florida
LAKEWATCH (1-800-525-3928) as a clear, acid, oligotrophic lake
of low mineral content because it receives the majority of its water
from direct rainfall and surface/subsurface inflow through
The population has remained steady over the years
near 900 residents. The town is home to three
Churches, a Head Start School, a Community
Center, a Post Office and four public parks.
updates have been added in 2011, 2013 & 2014
The Town of Pomona Park (TPP) makes every effort to produce and
publish the most current and accurate information possible on this
web site. The TPP assumes no responsibility for errors in the
information and does not guarantee that the information is free from
errors or inaccuracies. Similarly the TPP assumes no responsibility
for the consequences of inappropriate uses or interpretations of the
information. No warranties, expressed or implied, are provided for
the information herein, its use, or its interpretation. Utilization
of this site means the user understands and accepts this statement.
The user further understands that this site contains information
from parties over which TPP has no control and that TPP is not
responsible for any errors or inaccuracies in that information. It
is the users responsibility to independently verify all information
before they take any action based on the information.
For questions about Fair Housing, Equal Employment Opportunities
and/or Section 504 procedures regarding the Americans with
Disabilities Act, please contact the Town of Pomona Park’s
Compliance Officer, Brenda Masciulli, at (386) 649-4902.